Labels

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

Today is a National Day of Thanksgiving here in the United States. It's original intent was to be a day of offering thanks for all that we have been blessed with. It has a rich history in families coming together to try to put aside their quarrels and share a mea together. A feast for the celebration. Lately, it seems to be "pregame show" for that start of Christmas shopping complete with Black Friday ads. Even I have fallen into this spirit of crass consumerism at times.

I am thankful for the humor that I find in my life, even the humor that pokes fun at today's celebration of Thanksgiving. "The goal of the day is to be more stuffed than the turkey." "Eat until the button on your pants pops." "Don't forget to loosen your belt before you start eating." "Beware of the turkey toxins (tryptophan) that lead to the annual Thanksgiving nap." "The best part of the meal are the leftovers."

I am thankful for the gift of my family, my wife of over 24 years and my son even when he's being a knucklehead. They are a priceless gift that I can not repay. I did not understand what it meant to be a husband or a father but Ann and George have taught me the meanings of those words.

I am thankful for the family that brought me in to the world, my mother and father. As I reflect back over the years I realize how much they have sacrificed for me. I am even thankful for my little sister. Even though there were times she annoyed me she let me be the "big brother" that taught me so much.

I am thankful for all of the blessings that the Lord has given me: life, shelter, employment, transportation, food, clothing, warmth, and more. There are too many to list. I am also thankful for the crosses that the Lord has asked me to bear.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. I thank You Lord for the abundance beyond what I deserve that You have given me. I know that I could never thank You enough for all that You have given me if I tried. I also know that I don't try to thank You enough. Please Bless us all and rain Your Grace upon us. Guide us back to Jesus, Your Son, so that in Heaven we may celebrate the ultimate Thanksgiving in Your presence. Amen.

No comments: