Labels

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Oops!

My mood:

This is so embarassing. A collegue from Singapore pointed out to me that I left a personal .wav file (a 35.5 MB file) in a corporate public folder for a year or more. So for a year corporate IT has been dutifully backing up this 35.5 MB personal file to tape and saving archive copies offsite and meeting all of the federal guidelines for data retention. Oops. No telling how many folks listened to it either. Fortunatly, the contents of the file don't incriminate me in any way other than being a really bad harmonica player.

So, to back up, this was the e-mail I had in my inbox when I got in this morning, "Strange coincidence... I was looking for [deleted] release notes today, and saw this "Old Smokey" wave file in [deleted]. Since it was the 5th or 6th time I'd seen it (I've not worked on [deleted] a lot), curiousity just got the better of me and I gave it a listen. The voices just sounded so familiar... and I eventually figured out why. :-)
So how's your harmonica career going? Hahah... :) How did that clip end up there anyway? Sorry if I've invaded your privacy!"


My answer was thus, "Thanks for letting me know that was there - I'd forgotten (obviously). This incident warrants a mention on the blog. No apologies needed.
So what happened was a long long time ago I was telling [deleted] (did you meet him when you were here?) about that particular harmonica session with my Dad. I tried e-mailing it to him but it was too big to go through e-mail. So I "temporarily" copied it out there so that [deleted] could give it a listen. But then I forgot about it until you reminded me. I moved it out of there back to my own system. If you REALLY want a copy I'll work to get it to you again but it was never intended to be part of [deleted]'s backup data. :-)"


I've done things that were more foolish and more embarassing but I found this one humorous.

See ya!

No comments: