Labels

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Abortion a right?

In an article from Catholic News Service there is the following paragraph:

"On Dec. 10, the U.N. General Assembly also was to be presented with a petition to make abortion a universally recognized human right."

I find this to be very disturbing and more reason to dislike the UN.  I've believed for a long time that the US should get out of the UN.  This is one more reason. But I digress...

Let's talk about why this is a problem.  It comes down to my beliefs that abortion is wrong.  I do support a woman's right to do what she wants to do with her own body.  If she wants to tattoo her skin or piece a body part then she should go for it.  I might not like those actions but I won't stand in the way.  But the unborn baby in her womb is NOT part of her body.  I believe that life begins at conception and the fertilized egg is a new and different person.  Yes, the baby requires food, water, warmth, and oxygen from it's mother in order to live but so does a newborn.  In fact, pretty much every person under the age of about 2 still requires all of that from their parents.  If a 2 year old is a person then so is the unborn baby.

The discussion to have is when does a person acquire "personhood".  Killing a person with personhood is murder - legal or otherwise.  I believe that life begins at conception and so it is logical that abortion is murder.  Abortion before life begins would not be murder and we have no argument.  When do you say that life begins and why?

No comments: