Labels

Monday, December 22, 2008

Obligation or enjoyment or stress relief?

This morning I went to the gym to workout again under the guidance of my trainer (Hey Joanne!).  During the workout we chatted on various topics and I admitted that I hadn't worked out since last Tuesday.  I had all of the excuses - mandatory meetings, layoffs, and family activities conspired to keep me out of the gym.  She asked me if I thought going to the gym was an obligation or a way to relieve stress.  Hmm, insightful question!

I think it's obvious that a person doesn't get a shape like mine because exercise and working out are "fun".  Eating foods high in fat, sugar, and salt and sleeping are my preferred ways of dealing with stress.  Although I have to admit I do feel better after working out.  Perhaps if I weighed less and were stronger the workouts would be more "fun".

So, to answer Joanne's question, going to the gym still feels like an obligation but I like working with her, I do want to get stronger and fitter, and I like the way that I feel afterwards.  But its still a struggle to go workout.  I'm happy I went this morning and I'm looking forward to the end of the next session.

No comments: