Labels

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Papa John has left the building

The Pope, Pope John Paul II, aka Papa John has passed away. I would've really liked to have met him in person and I'm halfway considering trying to get to Rome.

Back in July of 2002 I took my nephew and Godson, Ben, to World Youth Day. Before World Youth Day I like Pope John Paul II. At World Youth Day I fell in love with him. There are many, many memories from that event filled week and many, many people I owe a debt of gratitude to. This picture was taken when the Pope arrived for Vespers Saturday evening. This was the closest that I ever got to Papa John. To see all of my WYD2002 pics go to http://www.peakpeak.com/~mklett/WYD_pics.htm.

So where does the title Papa John come from? For me it's a term of affection and endearment. He was the Pope with all of the authority and respect of the office but he wasn't distant. He was of the people and for the people. While we were in Toronto for World Youth Day I remember one of the headlines in a Toronto newspaper was, "Papa John is in the house!" It seemed appropriate, I think he liked it.

My feelings are mixed. I'm sad that he had to leave us. I loved him. He was a great and Holy man and we are worse off now than when he was with us. I'm also filled with joy to realize that he has run his race and is now home. Home where I hope and pray that we all make it some day.

May God Bless you and keep you. Amen.

No comments: