Labels

Thursday, April 21, 2005

What a lunch!

Interesting day. G. had a 4th grade field trip and I got to go to. His school has an annual trek for the 4th graders to a restaurant in Boulder called Mataam Fez. So, about 10:30 AM we boarded a school bus to be on our way. School buses aren't quite what I remember and yet they are everything as I remember. Being 6' 2" I had to duck or hit my head on the roof as we made our way to seat towards the back. We sat over the rear wheel on the passenger side so over half of the floor for our seat was taken up by wheel well. The seat in front of us seemed closer than the seats on airplanes and there was insufficient knee room (at least for me - might be fine for the kiddos). The bus bounced and so forth just like I remember and the seats had very little padding like I remember. But this bus had speakers in the ceiling for the driver to talk to us and white lights that came on at rail road crossings. The lights probably help find your way through the bus at night. There was also what appeared to be a camera up front watching us. These modern electronics are nothing like what I remember. I think the driver had a two way radio, too. But the windows still stick and go "click, click, click" as they go up and down just like I remember.

Lunch was served Moroccan style - we took our shoes off, sat on the floor, and ate with our fingers using only our right hand and had a big towel draped over our left shoulder. During the meal we heard talks of Morocco and about Islam and how Muslims worship. It was all quite exciting! After we washed our hands with tea we were served two salads, a carrot raisin thing for palette cleaning, patilla, chicken, lamb, and couscous. We saw some amazing tricks with pouring tea and then had a tea service (really sweet minty tea) and baklava for dessert. It was quite a spread that took about 2 and a half hours to serve.

The ride home was uneventful - G. was reading his book and I got asked to think about a DJ gig if the regular guy backs out. We were back at G. school, Twin Peaks Charter Academy, at 2:30 PM and I came back to work.

Here's to good company and good food!

No comments: